03 April, 2007

Gospel for 3 April, 2007

Among those who went up to worship at the festival were some Greeks. These approached Philip, who came from Bethsaida in Galilee, and put this request to him, ‘Sir, we should like to see Jesus.' Philip went to tell Andrew, and Andrew and Philip together went to tell Jesus. Jesus replied to them: Now the hour has come for the Son of man to be glorified. In all truth I tell you, unless a wheat grain falls into the earth and dies, it remains only a single grain; but if it dies it yields a rich harvest. Anyone who loves his life loses it; anyone who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life. Whoever serves me, must follow me, and my servant will be with me wherever I am. If anyone serves me, my Father will honour him. Now my soul is troubled. What shall I say: Father, save me from this hour? But it is for this very reason that I have come to this hour. Father, glorify your name! A voice came from heaven, ‘I have glorified it, and I will again glorify it. (John 12:20-28 NJB)

The prophet Zechariah, who foretold that Messiah would come to Jerusalem humbly riding upon a donkey, also proclaimed that Messiah would declare peace to the Gentiles, and that He would rule from sea to sea. (Zech. 9:10) The Greeks coming to see Jesus in the selection from the Gospel for today is presented by St John as yet another proof that what was foretold was foretold about Jesus. His hour is now upon Him and the truth of Who and What Jesus is is about to be revealed for all the world to see and to hear.
'

No comments: