17 March, 2007

Gospel for 17 March, 2007

Whoever comes from God listens to the words of God; the reason why you do not listen is that you are not from God. The Jews replied, ‘Are we not right in saying that you are a Samaritan and possessed by a devil?' Jesus answered: I am not possessed; but I honour my Father, and you deny me honour. I do not seek my own glory; there is someone who does seek it and is the judge of it. In all truth I tell you, whoever keeps my word will never see death. The Jews said, ‘Now we know that you are possessed. Abraham is dead, and the prophets are dead, and yet you say, “Whoever keeps my word will never know the taste of death.” Are you greater than our father Abraham, who is dead? The prophets are dead too. Who are you claiming to be?' Jesus answered: If I were to seek my own glory my glory would be worth nothing; in fact, my glory is conferred by the Father, by the one of whom you say, ‘He is our God,' although you do not know him. But I know him, and if I were to say, ‘I do not know him,' I should be a liar, as you yourselves are. But I do know him, and I keep his word. Your father Abraham rejoiced to think that he would see my Day; he saw it and was glad. The Jews then said, ‘You are not fifty yet, and you have seen Abraham!' Jesus replied: In all truth I tell you, before Abraham ever was, I am. At this they picked up stones to throw at him; but Jesus hid himself and left the Temple. (John 8:47-59 NJB)

Just a minute ago, Jesus told the cheif priests and Pharisees that Satan was their Father, and they do nothing, but argue with Him. But now all of a sudden they pick up stones intending to kill Him? What gives? It's easy to understand if you think about what Jesus really said to them, in the original language.

The Name of God, the Name revealed to Moses from the burning bush, was considered by the Jews to be so sacred that it could not be spoken, could not even be written out. What was that Name? Yahweh. I AM who I AM. When Jesus responded to his accusers, and said, "...before Abraham ever was, I am", in His native tongue, Aramaic, He said the divine Name out loud. And more than that, He identified Himself with that divine Name. For that, His audience believed Jesus to be worthy of being stoned to death.

Those of us who call ourselves Christian also identify ourselves with the Divine Name. What does that mean? And how does that identification affect how we carry ourselves in and relate to the world around us? Does anyone else understand what we really mean when we call ourselves Christian?

No comments: