21 March, 2007

Gospel for 21 March, 2007

Do not work for food that goes bad, but work for food that endures for eternal life, which the Son of man will give you, for on him the Father, God himself, has set his seal. Then they said to him, ‘What must we do if we are to carry out God's work?' Jesus gave them this answer, ‘This is carrying out God's work: you must believe in the one he has sent.' So they said, ‘What sign will you yourself do, the sight of which will make us believe in you? What work will you do? Our fathers ate manna in the desert; as scripture says: He gave them bread from heaven to eat.' Jesus answered them: In all truth I tell you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven, it is my Father who gives you the bread from heaven, the true bread; for the bread of God is the bread which comes down from heaven and gives life to the world. ‘Sir,' they said, ‘give us that bread always.' Jesus answered them: I am the bread of life. No one who comes to me will ever hunger; no one who believes in me will ever thirst. But, as I have told you, you can see me and still you do not believe. Everyone whom the Father gives me will come to me; I will certainly not reject anyone who comes to me, because I have come from heaven, not to do my own will, but to do the will of him who sent me. Now the will of him who sent me is that I should lose nothing of all that he has given to me, but that I should raise it up on the last day. It is my Father's will that whoever sees the Son and believes in him should have eternal life, and that I should raise that person up on the last day. (John 6:27-40 NJB)

Again Jesus' opponents want to see a sign. The truth, as Jesus points out, is that every time a sign is given they turn away. They refuse to see it or willfully fail to comprehend what is happening in their midst. These will never come to faith because they choose their unbelief. To thise who do believe however, Jesus gives food and drink that leads to eternal life. What am I having breakfast today?

No comments: